Northern Lights This Week

dave robinson

Dave:

Dennis Southwick volunteered to do his hologrphic backswimmer.

It's not exactly an advanced fly, but it does catch fish

as I can attest from last night.

Originally he thought Sept 21, but if you talkto him, he might change the date.

He's off in the Crow this weekend, but check with him when you can.

Iv'e got the newsletter started, just need tyer and pattern info.

I'm aiming to release it Tuesday evening.

DR

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week at Northern Lights it's fall startup time :clap:

Yes, Wednesday, September 7th is the first fall meeting. :coffeetime:

It's mainly a BS session, so bring your summer tales and photos.:catch:

We promise not to embarasss too many "bobbers" :beating:

There might be a few going for a libation after too. :drinked:

Oh. By the Way

The September issue of the Northern Lights Newsletter

is now available from the link on the club's main web page.

Edited by dave robinson

...don't forget to bring along your fly tying equipment...the peacock nymph and the griffiths gnat are the flies being tied...there will probably be some newcomers out to learn the art...

...check out the newsletter and make sure you bring along the materials required...if you find yourself short of some materials, don't worry, usually one can beg, borrow, but not "steal" :lol: some materials...

...these are both good patterns to fill your fly box with...enjoy...

Dito Paul. We are trying to get back to  the roots of the club and get more people tying again.

See all tomorrow night.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

NLFT&F

Posted Image

Well said. Griffith's gonads it is. A killer fly it be. Catchya'all Wednesday night (pattern info below).

Dennis, bring some of your "Northern Lights dazzle material" along too eh. I might wanna :ph34r: fleece a five-finger sample.

PS - On September 15th I announce the rules for the first Flyangler.Ca Fly Swap! So be sure to check it out out! Time to tie! Cause the rivers are a complete mess right now again! Seeesh! Did we all collectively blink and miss Summer this year?

First Flyangler.Ca Fly Swap - Coming Soon!

http://flyangler.ca/forum/index.php?showto...t=40entry9212

{ Siiiiiiiiiiiiip! Ahhhh! }

post-27-1126675216_thumb.jpg

RB sorry read this to late. I got one of those days from hell today. Have 2 Co. parties to go to from 2pm then another at 5:30 hope they feed me in time there then leave there by 6:45 to be at the club. I didn''t bring anything with me for tonight but myself.

Sorry.

Will for sure next week or give me a shout and maybe we can get togeather in the near future. I'm not going out to the Little Smokey this weekend as I just have to much on the go. Maybe next weekend.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S.

RB sorry read this to late. I got one of those days from hell today. Have 2 Co. parties to go to from 2pm then another at 5:30 hope they feed me in time there then leave there by 6:45 to be at the club. I didn''t bring anything with me for tonight but myself.

Sorry.

Will for sure next week or give me a shout and maybe we can get togeather in the near future. I'm not going out to the Little Smokey this weekend as I just have to much on the go. Maybe next weekend.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S.

Ugh, sorry.. not there.. was home sick. Will try for the 28th when yer tying.

LOL! Lil Smokey.. bring yer flood pants.

Athabasca flow rates at Windfall (Whitecourt)

http://www3.gov.ab.ca/env/water/ws/data/hy...es/_RATHWIN.gif

Berland at mouth (Athabasca)

http://www3.gov.ab.ca/env/water/ws/data/hy...es/_RBERMOU.gif

One can assume from these 2 (Little Smoky is in between...) the water will be high - but not insane...

Coffee was on - but no Dave, Dave, Brian, Brian, or Dennis There were however 2 Gregs, a Vince, a Ron, at least 1 Darren, Brian, Rocky and a Karen... and I believe at least 1 Joe, and perhaps a Stephen, and a few other notables.

Mike was absent - but Mike was there - although - he was getting ready for the "GUN" show...

This will only make sense to those who attended.... :)

I don't mind.

Wed night I will be doing my super flash backswimmer. I hope to have enough of the super flash that I can distribute to tie a couple of these. Just make sure you bring the black or brown foam & rubber legs.

I will also tie another backswimmer I'm working on and hope to get out and use before the meeting. I was going to try it on Muir yesterday with Dave R. but ended up cancelling as I felt like a mack truck from the Little Smokey had run me over a couple of time. Maybe I just swallowed too much dust following those logging trucks out.

See you all Wed night.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S.

James not sure whats happening for Wed night. Maybe we can get Dave or Dave to post something here to let us know.

As for the Backswimmer not sure if there's any place on the net. The closes would maybe be Phil Rowley's floating backswimmer. I don't know his web page off hand. Likely listed in our Links list. I just use a different material than Phil does.

If you bring some black foam & brown or black rubber legs & a size 10 dry fly hook I will bring the body material. Then if we have time I will set down with you and show you how to tie the pattern.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S.

Guest Alberta Al

Hey Dennis and Lanny,

I'll be there on Wednesday. Bring a plastic bag to take home some tying materials.

No work or hockey to get in the way this week.

Cheers,

Alberta Al

This week it will be a "surpirse" evening.

You have to show up to find out what's up.

I hoep to have the newsletter done Wednesday am,

so keep your eyes on the web page

http://www.nlft.org/brokenthreads.php

PS to Scratch:

Expect the newsletter early Wednsday for posting

DR

Edited by dave robinson

I see the ever efficient Scratch has the October Newsletter up already.

Great Service Guy! Thanks!

I'll drop some printed copies off to the meeting onthe way to the Oiler Season opener.

PS to RB:

No, DO NOT wear your Spongebob Squarepants outfit to the game tonight

or I'll make you stand all game and buy all the beer.