Estate of Roman Scharabun

Friday June 17 5-9 pm

13007 - 122 st.

Lots of tying supplies including hooks, hackle, fur and feathers, tools,

tinsel, thread, dubbing and more.

If you ever saw what he carried in his kit, that's just the start of the

supplies.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on heading over after work @5:00, is anyone else planning on dropping by? Hopefully we'll see you all out there.

Scratch is supposed to swing by and meet me at work, then buzzing over directly by 5 PM.

See you there.

All I gotta say is.. wow. Roman shore had a lot of stuff, wish I coulda got more.. but as it is.. my wife won't speak to me tonight for what I brought home already.. and stashed away. ;)

ALSO, big congrats to HepCat on his new DynaKing Rotary Vice purchase. You are one Lucky guy to own that tool! Good on yah!

Too bad we didn't see more people out there to support the family tonight (we left around 7 PM and I only seen Topo, Scratcg, Hepcat, Pacres, and myself there). Elena mentioned to me that she was also considering donating some items and materials to the club as well. We could only be so lucky to get some of that stuff.

Dennis, there were hundreds of tying / fishing / rod building books there too. Perhaps the club library could be expanded with a club purchase also. Some books were going for very excellent prices too. Many autographed first editions also. Nuff said... but you should get in touch with her, as she also mentioned she wrote a letter to the NLFTF and CFL but did not hear anything back from either organization yet? Elena also mentioned that she would donate Romans slideshow pics to the club as well. These are simply amazing photos too! Did you get a letter?

There were also some Hardy Reels and about 6 of Roman's homebuilt rods for private sale before they get listed on Ebay. She asked me to mention this to fellow members FIRST. If you want to get in touch with the family, send me a private message and I will give you a contact number if you are interested in any remaining items (and there were lots!) -- so many hooks you wouldn't believe your eyes!

Re: Send me the "Mickey Finn" pattern Ranger Bob.

Topo,

You can find the Mickey Finn pattern here [ http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showtopic=822 ] for the nice Red and Yellow bucktails that you scored for a $1.00 each tonight. Darn nice pieces they were too! I can't wait to tye something with that bleached Elk. The nicest stuff I've ever seen (SnoWolf -- even with Topo's earlier suggestion about poaching in Banff... [ http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showtopic=...findpost&p=7229 ] I don't think you'll find a nicer patch). You missed out!

It was WELL worth the trip. Boxes and boxes of tying materials and equipment, not to mention quite a few hand built (by Roman) rods. I walked in and saw the Dynaking Barracuda vice and it was a had-to-have! All in all a very productive visit.

Is Elena putting whats left on ebay or would she consider having another garage sale? If not and I am still interested acquiring some materials should I privately contact her? I wish I would've had time to go but other things got in the way.

TF

As new fishers and tyers, Roman left a legacy for us to absorb. Many of the items that Elena has put in the sale are things that you owe it to yourself to look at.

I bought a dozen books, and materials, and tying tools, and the others there did the same. Take this rare opportunity to peek into the bench and library of a master. Sell your bike, and your bed. Buy what you can - keep it all in the family.

FlyWing (Wally) bought the entire collection of hooks.... 17,000 in all yesterday. Now, that's a lot of hooks! I own maybe 500 myself (if that) and I never seem to have the ones I need for tying with at any given time. I also went back and bought a few more books that I stashed away.

Apparently, only one other person showed up on Friday after the aforementioned group left on Friday. So in all, only six people have attended the sale so far. There is lots left to say the least. Scratch said it best.. sell your kids... your dog... and go!

Yes, I heard too that there are plans for another possible mid-week sale sometime after all the Klaves are done. The timing was a bit off with the Fathers Day Klave and upcoming AK2005.

Is Elena putting whats left on ebay or would she consider having another garage sale? If not and I am still interested acquiring some materials should I privately contact her?  I wish I would've had time to go but other things got in the way.

TF

I spoke to Elena about contacting her privately and she is alright with that. I know that Ian has already got in touch through me. #IF# you are serious about getting something, then like I said private message me and I will hook you up. I am not going to publicly post the contact info here.

There are still some fabulous capes, assorted materials, tools, vices, about 200+ books still (many signed first editions), a custom tying bench, magnifying lights, rods and other gear inlcuding some early Hardy reels. There is a tying bag for sale that will contain everything on your bench, the kitchen sink, and then some. The most impressive one I've ever seen!

There is still all the rod-building equipment yet which includes hundred of spools of threads, blanks, jigs, tools, blanks, reel seats. You get the idea. So, if you've ever considered building your own rod before, I think you owe it to yourself to check out this rare collection indeed.

PS - Buying two dozen roses for your spouse will help you sneak the stuff in the house. It worked for both me and Wally yesterday.

FlyWing (Wally) bought the entire collection of hooks.... 17,000 in all yesterday. Now, that's a lot of hooks! I own maybe 500 myself (if that) and I never seem to have the ones I need for tying with at any given time. I also went back and bought a few more books that I stashed away.

Apparently, only one other person showed up on Friday after the aforementioned group left on Friday. So in all, only six people have attended the sale so far. There is lots left to say the least. Scratch said it best.. sell your kids... your dog... and go!

Yes, I heard too that there are plans for another possible mid-week sale sometime after all the Klaves are done. The timing was a bit off with the Fathers Day Klave and upcoming AK2005.

Is Elena putting whats left on ebay or would she consider having another garage sale? If not and I am still interested acquiring some materials should I privately contact her?  I wish I would've had time to go but other things got in the way.

TF

I spoke to Elena about contacting her privately and she is alright with that. I know that Ian has already got in touch through me. #IF# you are serious about getting something, then like I said private message me and I will hook you up. I am not going to publicly post the contact info here.

There are still some fabulous capes, assorted materials, tools, vices, about 200+ books still (many signed first editions), a custom tying bench, magnifying lights, rods and other gear inlcuding some early Hardy reels. There is a tying bag for sale that will contain everything on your bench, the kitchen sink, and then some. The most impressive one I've ever seen!

There is still all the rod-building equipment yet which includes hundred of spools of threads, blanks, jigs, tools, blanks, reel seats. You get the idea. So, if you've ever considered building your own rod before, I think you owe it to yourself to check out this rare collection indeed.

PS - Buying two dozen roses for your spouse will help you sneak the stuff in the house. It worked for both me and Wally yesterday.

i would be interested to go and look. I completely forgot....

Thanx

Lance: Thanks for helping get the word out about the tiers sale last

week. Wally did leave a few things in case anyone else needs supplies.

We have decided to plan another sale for Tuesday, June 28th from 5 to 9.

Maybe with it being a weekday the guys will still be in town. There are

a number of books left as well as lots of tieing supplies. I do no have

any hooks left as Wally and I reached an agreement about them. If you

would pass along the word regarding this next sale date we'd appreciate it.

Sorry Guys I really want to get out to the sale but I have so many things on the go that I just plan forgot about it :(:( I was out in Leduc looking at trucks when I remmeber but was to late. Lance thank you on the head up about the letter. To date I have not heard from Elana. Could you please get me a contact number and I will call her. I will speak to her about the books.

I will try very hard to get out to the one on the 28th.

Tight Lines Always

DennisS.

Dennis:

I second the recommendation on the Club acquiring a number of Roman's books.

There are a number of signed editions and books no longer in print

that would be a real asset to the Club Llibrary.

There's a whole series by Roderic Haig Brown that you can no longer get.

On that note, I have a suggestion.

Why don't we give our library a name.

The Edmonton Astronomy club has named it's library

"The Lamplighter Library" in honor of Lucien Kemble who contributed greatly

to the Royal Astronomical Society and was a great frend of Edmonton Center.

I would propose for us " The Roman Scharabun Memorial Library".

What this would require is a motion to that effect at a meeting

followed by a plaque mounted on the library storage cabinet,

with new acquistions getting a bookplate mounted inside the front cover.

Comments?

PS:

I was one of the few who made it out to the sale, but after the other crowd.

I picked up the Fly Tiers Benchside Reference for a great price,

plus a book on nymphs and two on some fishing humour.

I also picked up some hooks before Wally scooped them all

and a few hard to get tying tools.

My particular treasures found were a pair of small brass hair stackers

that I recall Roman using in some of his demonstrations.

Whenever I use them I will remember him.

Edited by dave robinson

and two on some fishing humour.

Well, that'll help yah out. What.. no dictionairies? :D

Yeah, I also PM'ed (reminded) Dennis earlier today about the NEED for the "Roman S. Memorial Award" that I proposed earlier in the year (and had not seen anything done about yet). I know we were letting some time pass, but enough has now IMHO to look at this more in depth in the Fall I think when all the members gather again.

I will also vote or bring a motion before the club if required on this. I like the library idea, but would like to see an award for either excellence in Rod Building or Fly Tying created as well.

All are appropriate tributes though, and given Roman's collection of books (which almost rivals Wally's.. okay not even close.. Wally's is about 4 times larger) that would also be appropriate.

I would like to see the club still get it's entire list of books and videos on-line. So if the library is renamed, some work needs to be done in that regard as well.

Agreed that an award would also be a good idea.

I kinda like the idea of the Rod Building Award.

Not too common like an annual fly tying award

and the recipient will have produced someting of lasting quality.

BTW:

I still think we need an award similar to the Hamilton Angler's "Orange Blaster"

That goes to the member with the funniest faux pas.

Could be awarded more than once a year too.

My nomination for the name is

The Rocky's Horror Fishing Award.

The trophy might even be a bronzed tin of baby powder.

The books I got are funny.

But, for true fishing humour,

I only need watch certain fishermen

bobbing along in the Red Deer.

All good ideas and will come to pass. I also like the Idea of the Roman memorial liberary also. We will have an execative meeting in the near future. We will discuss there and hammer out the ins and out of the award. Nice idea about the rods but thats maybe be something that wouldn't be awarded each yr. Something in the lines of either fly tying best new enovations or teaching for the year. I also like the one Dave mentions best screw up for the year award.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S.

NLFT&F

"execative memorial liberary"

I also like the one Dave mentions best screw up for the year award.

Dennis S.

Can I nominate you? :lol: That's it.. I'm donating a dictionary to the club's "liberary". :D

I already got Dave's "Sponge Bobber" award last year at Xmas.

:vdaylove:

Spoke to Elena last night and she is going to put a lump sum price on the books for the club. I will go through them and decide from there. She also said that she will most likely donate Romans slide shows along with the slide projector. I hope to get there around the 5pm time.

See you all there.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

NLFT&F